Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 11: Pizza is Satan incarnate, and it's stalking me

Yesterday I had a meeting in the evening and brought a couple bananas, some apples and a bag of pecans. I had meant to go to the store earlier but couldn't find the time, so I had to make do. I'm still learning how to accurately plan for the fruit replenishment excursions.

Everyone at the meeting was eating these scrummy looking sandwiches. Even the tunafish sandwich was smelling good to me! No clue why, as I despise all seafood, even seaweed. I pulled out my embryonic chimpanzee feast only to find two half-way mushy bananas, so that left me with even less -- one banana, really, and some apples, which I can really only eat so much of. I ate half the bag of pecans but it was too much -- not filling enough and too heavy. I was still hungry.

I came home famished to find the neighbor kids (who are older) over playing video games with my kids. My neighbor, who was (technically speaking) watching my kids while I was at the meeting, had made pizza for everyone in my oven. I told him this morning I could have killed him for cooking pizza in my house (naw, really I love him dearly like a brother). But this marauding pizza thing has really got to stop! In fact, I think I'm going to start a section at the bottom of each entry called Pizza Encounters. It's like bacteria -- it's everywhere! And it does seem to multiply the more space you try to give it.

As for the shopping, I can't easily conceptualize what I require in a week yet. The fruit mounds have seized my counter and are now advancing lock-step onto the kitchen table. Maybe the kids will eat more of it with such a frontal assault.

Here's an inventory of all the produce deployed to my counter and fridge:


Fruit:
  • Red d'anjou pears - 12
  • Green d'anjou pears - 1
  • Cameo apples - 8
  • Other apples (mishmash) - 9
  • Tangerines - 7
  • Really ripe (soft/spotty) bananas - 14
  • Ripe-but-probably-not-by-Doug-Graham-standards-but-the-only-way-I-can-eat-them-whole bananas - 12
  • Keitt mangoes - 7
  • Hayden mangoes - 8
  • Ginormous asian pears - 6
  • Grapes, sweet red seedless - about 5 pounds
  • Grapes, red seeded - about 1 pound
  • Kiwi - 1 from my garden
  • Oranges - 11
  • Red ruby juicing grapefruits - 25
  • Blueberries - 36 oz.
  • Papaya - 1 (to see if I can stomach it)
  • Watermelons - 2 medium (bargain produce)
  • Honeydew melon - 1
  • Ugli/unique fruit - 1 (don't ask me!)
  • Avocado - 2 small
  • Jakfruit - 1 large slice
That's 129 pieces of fruit (by my quick count), plus another 8 lbs., 4 oz.

Veg:
  • Lettuce heads - 4
  • Celery - 2 bunches
  • Spinach - 1 bunch
That's basically 7 servings for me, or should be at least.


I don't know ... do you think I'll starve to death eating like this?


Food:
2 bananas
Smoothie: Head of lettuce (332 g), 1 gala apple (140 g), 2 green d'anjou pears (274 g), 2 bananas (222 g)
2 apples, 1 banana, 1 oz pecans

Calories: 1114
Carbohydrate: 77%
Protein: 5%
Fat: 18%

Exercise:
  • 20 minutes StepMill
  • 20 minutes exercise bike
  • 12 minutes glider at high intensity
  • 20 minute ab workout

Pizza Encounters:
  • Pizza flyer on doorknob in afternoon
  • Pizza cooked in my over, upon returning in evening

3 comments:

  1. I doubt you'll starve to death, but you may feel like it at times...just eat more fruit ;~) j/k

    You're doing amazing with this, especially with the pizza assaulting you from every angle.

    Hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pizza attacks me as well. But what I learned, DON'T TAKE EVEN ONE BITE! One bite of pizza put me on cooked foods from Thanksgiving to Christmas. One bite! It is the devil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know Debbie! :-) So I guess you didn't have just one bite? (As if ONE bite of pizza is even possible!)

    Thanks for the tip!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete