Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 15 & 16: I hate fruit right about now!

I have been very despondent this afternoon, feeling dejected about this whole diet. This may sound crazy, but sometimes I feel like it's hardly worth getting out of bed if you can never eat anything super-yummy ever.

I recently got a copy of Doug Graham's The New High Energy Diet Recipe Guide and throughout the book he talks and talks and talks about how all these fruit dishes are absolutely delicious. What a joke! I think he's from another planet than me. Maybe if you're a natural fruit lover (I have friends that are), but that ain't me. Under normal circumstances I eat fruit sporadically, the occasional smoothie, that kind of thing. Oh, and cherry season. I do love cherry season.

Guess what? Now I still don't really like fruit. Surprise surprise! It's too sweet. But for now it's sustaining me. I definitely have no interest in cake or ice cream or anything like that. Sugar cravings are nill. Still not happy though. Not satisfied. Want to punch a freakin' wall!



But I knew I wouldn't be satisfied, I knew it would be absolute hell for some time since I've been this far down this road before. Does it ever get any better? Any easier? Part of wanting to do this was to do the crazy experiment of taking someone who doesn't really like fruit and see what happens if you eat ponderous amounts of it for three months. Would it get any more palatable? Would my health improve? Could I actually do something so difficult? The answer is -- I have to tell myself -- an unresounding yes, but right now it's a bit like listening to a broken record of nails on a chalkboard for weeks on end.

Don't get me wrong: I feel absolutely 100% nourished and am getting more and more energetic -- I think -- every day. (I did everything in my yoga class today, whereas before I'd have to sit out of a bunch of it). It's just that the nourishment drives me up the wall.

The way I feel now there's no way I'm sticking to this forever. But that's just what I'm saying right now. Stay tuned.


Day 15 Food:

Some kind of herbal tea with 1 tsp honey (crucify me)
4 c. grapefruit juice
Brazil nuts (46 g/1.5 oz.)
1/2 medium watermelon (~1795 g.)
Giant smoothie: pear (6-1/8 oz./174 g.), 3 bananas (10-1/2 oz./300 g.), blueberries (4-5/8 oz./134 g.), 1 lb. 1/2 oz. grapes, head of romaine (say 300 g.)

Calories: 2066
Carbohydrates: 79%
Protein: 6%
Fat: 15%

Exercise:
15 minutes total body workout bike thingy (I have to see what it's called)
30 minutes True Strider
20 minutes treadmill, 3.5 mph
40 minutes weight training

Day 16 Food:
Herbal tea with honey again (maybe I'll stop soon, but I'm cooooold, so no promises)
4.25 c. grapefruit juice (8 grapefruits)
Smoothie: 3 mangoes, piece of jackfruit (1.5 cups), 1 pear, 1 apple
More of previous smoothie but added 2 bananas and a head of romaine
1 small avocado

Calories: 1710
Carbohydrates: 82%
Protein: 5%
Fat: 13%

Exercise:
Bikram yoga class

3 comments:

  1. Hey, you're awesome. Hang in there, you'll feel better if you do, if only because you stuck with it. I'm a single mom on pretty much the same journey as you, toss in recently quitting cigarettes! They stalk me too! Thank god for peaches. So many delicious peaches...
    Anyway, your blog is damned refreshing. Keep it up and good luck, chick. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs. :) Part of it has to do with getting really good quality fruit, which is hard for me to do during this season where I live. (Not sure where you're at.) Part of it has to do with the tastebuds reviving after years of salt, condiments, food additives, and concentrated cooked foods.

    After awhile on raw foods, my experience was that the old foods that I craved tasted like crap. I kept eating them chasing my old experience of enjoying those foods, but I never could get it again. Now when my husband buys a pint of Ben and Jerry's, I don't even bother having a taste. I know it's not as good as I remember from the old days. I'm still a long way from where I want, but I do love the pure clean sweetness of ripe fruit and tender greens better than anything.

    Anyway, if you decide to go back to pizza after your 90 days, it's not like you're a bad person or doing something wrong. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glitterati: That's awesome about the smoking. I used to smoke a lot. I know how hard it is to quit, but it's totally worth it in the end.

    Greenmama: I'm in California, so I can't say I don't have access to good quality fruit! I'm hoping you're right about the taste buds adjusting, but I'm a little skeptical because quite often the fruit taste is already too overwhelming. Still, I'm trying to keep an open mind. This is really why I'm giving myself 90 days.

    ReplyDelete