Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 2: Ok, so this is really annoying


I am so bummed out today. My goal is incompatible with my human desires! Last night I was watching a rerun of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. It's a reality-style show where this bloke, Gordon Ramsey goes into failing restaurants and turns them around. (As it focuses to some extent on food, it may shortly get exponentially more difficult for me to watch.) Anyway, last night I was having no problems with it, just relaxing in front of the TV, when Gordon Ramsey has the gall to tell them that in order to turn their restaurant around they need a signature dish, like, say, fresh mozzarella. He pointed out that it's so easy to make, tastes delicious, and keeps them coming back for more; furthermore, it would only take about 45 minutes a day to prepare. What? Now you tell me! I had no idea it was so simple.

I swear in that moment I almost jumped the fruit ship, but I went to bed instead, moping miserably. I suppose it's probably best that I never knew that mozzarella could be easily made at home, as that could have seriously been my undoing. I must have been born French (or Italian) in a past life with my wine and cheese fetish. I love cheese so much it's totally insane!

I was ever-so-slightly headachy this morning; the joys of caffeine withdrawal, I suppose. I didn't really sleep well last night either. I felt semi-conscious all night long in this weird, detox-induced la-la-land. All day I didn't feel too bad, but just "off", like my body was really starting to wonder what the hell I'm doing to it.

People that I've told of this dietary change have been asking how I feel today, how I'm doing, etc. And the answer is that, well, I'm doing it. Definitely not liking it much one iota just yet, but maybe that will change. My clothes are already looser.

Here's my litany of physical issues that I didn't get around to posting yesterday:
  • Neuromas between 2nd & 3rd toe, both feet
  • Spot on my left foot that itches constantly & feels like bugs under the skin (?????)
  • Collapsed arches, both feet
  • Strange bump on left foot, diagnosed as "either a varicose vein or a cyst"
  • Achy outside of calves and ankles, upon exertion
  • Adductor tendinosis at insertion (knee)
  • Hamstring micro tears at origin, causing constant pain in upper leg
  • Weak abs/hips (causing some of the problems below, for which I've done extensive physical therapy to try to correct)
  • Intermittent rash on stomach
  • Lack of skin elasticity (a.k.a. approaching 40)
  • "Normal" skin blemishes on face
  • Recently thinning hair, maybe due to thyroid issues/medication (see below)
  • Thin fingernails
  • Varying digestive upsets
  • And last, but certainly not least, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (autoimmune garbage) causing low thyroid (which causes a whole host of symptoms I'm not experiencing at the moment due to medication). I also occasionally have to deal with high thyroid due to unintentional overdosage as a result of lack of calibration between generic pharmaceutical labs. I have been dealing with this in the last week on several occasions. Royal pain, with palpitations, anxiety, lack of sleep, blah, blah, blah.
Maybe adopting this diet will change nothing (I doubt it will raise collapsed arches anyway!). Maybe I'll turn into Wonder Woman. I'll post some "before" shots (yeah, I can't wait!!!) in the next few days.

Food today:
Juice of 4 grapefruits & 2 oranges (about 2 cups total)
1 small watermelon
1 lb. pureed grape tomatoes with a handful of celery from my garden (I won't do this again)
1 oz brazil nuts
Smoothie of 3.5 bananas and 1 mango

Total calories (from Nutridiary): 1273 (I'm going to try to inch this higher as time goes on; easier said than done.)
73% carb/6% protein/ 16% fat (higher fat than is my target, but I'm also low on my preferred fruits, as the store I usually go to is still closed today)

No comments:

Post a Comment