Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 8: The fruit tree: Nature's first meth lab

"Awate!"

That's what my older son used to yell excitedly about his waking new baby brother, before he could pronounce his "k" sound. Well, that's me lately, wide awake, but not always happy about it. I'm waking up before sunrise every day and not falling asleep until close to midnight. That's just not normal! Not that I'm getting up at that time ... I just lay around and marvel at how impossible it is to sleep, then relent after awhile and begrudgingly face the day.

Joe Alexander, in his fantastic little book Blatant Raw Foodist Propaganda -- in my eyes one of the best, and certainly most humorous, books on the raw food diet -- sums the ultimate effect up thus:

"Raw food diet is a better high than marijuana or speed or LSD or cocaine or any other drug you can name, and best of all the CIA doesn't make any money on it."

Well, I'm not exactly there yet, but I am fully

AWAKE!

I think I'm entering Stage 2 detox, and this is part of the annoyance factor. My skin is rough, dry, and itchy. In short, I'm through the sleepy stage (which is easier in a sense because you can sleep through it) and have now entered the deep-clean mode of detox which, heaven help me, will probably go on and on until December 21, 2012.

I do like that I am quite alert though, even well into the evening, which is a change. Last night I worked in my home office until 10:00 on this heinous work project. I wanted to get a lot done while I was on a roll.

When I came out and sat down, Gary says to me, "Updating your blog?" with a knowing grin.

"No, actually I was WORKING. There are other people in this house that work too, you know!" (I'm a part-time, work-at-home, keep-my-own-hours contractor, so sometimes he gets a bit jealous.) He was not expecting to see me working at that time at night unless absolutely necessary.

I was forced to restock the fruit cellar (I wish!) yesterday, after only 6 days! My counter was practically bare. (Mind you, practically bare to me is probably a month-long supply of fruit for a medium sized Texas village.) At the store, the checkout ladies were giggling and eying my mountain of grapefruit -- not that many really -- about 30? -- and whispering amused comments in Spanish (not realizing that I could understand them). Funny.

Nonetheless, it's still a bit shocking to me to go through like 40 grapefruits in a week, especially since grapefruit juice is one of my favorites while eating like this, so I could easily have double that if I was open to having less variety.

Last night I was pining fiercely for a semblance of a "normal" meal, just something that looked like something other than orchard droppings or a pureed concoction thereof. It was an emotional thing; I just wanted to sit down "properly" with the family. I cut up a bunch of veggies and reconstituted some tomato powder (dehydrated from our summer harvest, sorry folks). No salt or spices, so no real risk of it being too mmm mmm good. Big plate. Gary agreed that it approximated a normal looking meal.

tomato sauce recipe

You know what? It was WAY too much. I mean too intense. The tomato flavor was overwhelming. I ate the whole thing, but only because I don't like wasting food. It was an effort not to gag by the end. I had originally measured out one ounce of Brazil nuts -- I'm not opposed to going over the 10% fat target at this stage -- but then I didn't want them either.

My Friday night treat was some high carbon footprint Chilean cherries. I wouldn't normally purchase such ridiculously transported produce, but I've allowed myself a few indulgences to get over the most painful first stretch of this trek.

Food:
  • 2 cups grapefruit
  • Smoothie: Handful of mallow from my garden (40 g), handful of celery from my garden (68 g), 3 burro bananas.
  • Small watermelon
  • Crazy dinner mixture: broccoli (2-1/4 oz/68 g), zucchini (4 oz/116 g), grape tomatoes (3-1/2 oz/100 g), slice of leftover mango (1/2 oz/16 g), handful of lettuce (1-7/8 oz/56 g)
  • 3.5 oz cherries
Calories: 1128
Carbohydrates: 88%
Fat: 4%
Protein: 8%

No comments:

Post a Comment